As messed up as the Academy can be, I have to admit that I enjoy the Oscars. I like to see great movies get recognized. Here are a few more top tens in celebration of the upcoming show:
The top 10 times that the Academy got it wrong:
10. Dances with Wolves winning over Goodfellas
9. My Fair Lady winning over Dr. Strangelove
8. The Apartment winning over Psycho, which wasn’t even nominated!
7. Going My Way winning over Double Indemnity
6. How Green Was My Valley winning over Citizen Kane
5. Chariots of Fire winning over Raiders of the Lost Ark
4. Ordinary People winning over Raging Bull
3. The English Patient winning over Fargo
2. Shakespeare in Love winning over Saving Private Ryan
1. No Country for Old Men winning over There Will Be Blood
My top 10 favourite Best Picture winners:
9. Slumdog Millionaire
8. Rain Man
5. Forrest Gump
4. The Godfather
3. The Godfather Part II
2. Schindler’s List
Congratulations Room. This is your week.
I chose this one not because it was my favourite of 2015, but because it is so amazing. Easily a best picture winner for the year. Joy and I watched it and were wrapped up from beginning to end.
And the Oscar goes to…
Best Actress: Charlize Theoron in Mad Max: Fury Road
Best Actor: Tom Hardy in The Revenant
Best Quote: “F*** you Mars.” – Matt Damon as Mark Watney in The Martian.