- Richard Parker, Life of Pi (2012). I love tigers in movies, and I was hestitant to pick this one seeing as he is computer generated, as opposed to the ones in The Hangover (2009), Gladiator (2000), and Two Brothers (2004). However, the fact that his name is Richard Parker makes him too awesome to pass up.
- Diego, Ice Age (2002). This is such a great movie, mostly because of Sid the Sloth, but I do think Diego is amoung the more badass of cartoon cats.
- Alex, Madagascar (2005). Alex makes the list mostly because I really like Ben Stiller, and because seeing the character immediately brings to mind the penguins, King Julien, and the eventual appearance of the monkeys in the sequels.
- Jonesy, Alien (1979). His scene where he sees the alien is awesome. It’s simple, very house-catish, and adds so much to the suspense of the movie.
- Clawhauser, Zootopia (2016). If you haven’t seen Zootopia, you are in for a treat. You don’t have to watch it with a kid, nor even be a fan of animated movies. You will laugh, and I’m sure you’ll love Clawhauser as much as I did.
- Sassy, Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey (1993). She’s just so darn cute! And Sally Field is the perfect voice for her.
- Pink Panther, The Pink Panther (1963). Probably the coolest cat in all of movies/TV, which says a lot when you consider the competition.
- Simba, The Lion King (1994). I think I prefer the young Simba, but even the adult version is pretty awesome. Who would have thought we could identify with a bug-eating lion?
- Mr. Bigglesworth, Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me (1999). Sure, he doesn’t say much. And sure, some say he’s ugly. But whenever he shows up he eats up the screen and just dares you to look away!
Yes, choosing 9 was intentional. I left out our nominees, but I have to say they are all cats are pretty cool. I think my favourite from those would be Keanu, though I appreciated and enjoyed each of them on some level.
Congratulations, Puss in Boots. This is your week.
And the Oscar goes to…
Best Actor: TIE: Keegan-Michael Key as Clarence Goobril (aka Smoke Dresden) and Jordan Peele as Rell Williams (aka Oil Dresden) in Keanu.
Best Quote: “ Uh, Mr Pathetic. You’ve had a crush on her since high school. Would you please ask her out so she can reject you and we can get on with my life?” — Bill Murray as Garfield in Garfield.
This post is dedicated to Twila, my demon kitty who hates the world but snuggles me on the daily. Unless I’m sick or feeling down—then the snuggles are non-stop.